My writing has featured in numerous publications, including Skyscraper magazine, Make magazine, Pixelsurgeon, Open Sewer, Zmag.com, Creative Loafing, The Charlotte Post-Courier, The Korea Herald, The Korea Tribune, The Huffington Post, The Observer, and Isosceles, a small poetry journal. I also write regularly for Razorfish publications such as Scatter/Gather, Headlight Blog, and Slant. You can see a portfolio of my writing on Muck Rack.
During the 2016 election, I began writing a series of articles on immigration, especially as it relates to undocumented immigrant. These pieces appeared on both Medium and The Huffington Post.
Here's a listing of those articles:
- There Is No Illegal Immigrant Crisis
- Undocumented Immigrant Does Not Equal Violent Criminal
- The Way We Speak About Unauthorized Immigrants Matters
- What Is The Immigration Industrial Complex?
- Nobody Should Be Reduced to an "Illegal Immigrant"
- No, Undocumented Immigrants Aren't Stealing Your Benefits
- Six Questions About Undocumented Immigrants
- Chain Migration Is Just Immigration
In 2000, I was a winner in the South Carolina Fiction Project. My story, "Daddy Buys a Buick," was published in the Charleston Post-Courier. The previous year, I received an honorable mention in the same contest for my short story entitled "My Occidental Asia." Open Sewer has also reprinted "Daddy" here. The May/June 2000 issue of Poets & Writers also featured a mention of "Daddy" and an accompanying photo.
I wrote book reviews for a couple of years for Creative Loafing when I lived in Greenville, SC. A partial sampling of the many reviews I wrote there follows. I also contributed art reviews and feature articles to Creative Loafing in that time. For a year or so, I reviewed electronic music for a now-defunct site, isnotwas.com. Then for about a decade I wrote dozens of music reviews for Skyscraper magazine. A few representative reviews follow.
Featured Professional Writing
- Recap: Source Protection in the Information Age, Tow Center for Digital Journalism, Oct 2014
- Shelf Life: How to Handle Dated Content, Scatter/Gather, Aug 5, 2013
- Suddenly, We're Ubiquitous, Medium, July 9, 2013
- Google Glass: Promising Utility or Privacy
- Nightmare?, Medium, July 2, 2013
- The Physicality of Glass, Medium, June 29, 2013
- SXSW 2013: Twitter, Transparency, and Data Storytelling, Scatter/Gather, Mar 21, 2013
- Summary: Everything Is Not Important, Scatter/Gather, Mar 15, 2013
- Presentation: Everything Is Not Important, SXSW, Mar 9, 2013
- Interview: SXSW 2013 Q&A: Robert Stribley, Scatter/Gather, Jan 22, 2013
- Information Architecture: A Guerilla Guide to Breaking In, Onward Search Blog, Aug 27, 2012
- To Tweet, Perchance to Dream: Dismissing Three Twitter Myths, Scatter/Gather, Feb 28, 2012
- Interview: SXSW 2012 Q&A: Matthew Diffee, Scatter/Gather, Feb 2, 2012
- Autofail: How Apple's Autocorrect Teaches Bad English, Scatter/Gather, Oct 7, 2011
- How Egypt Got Her Voice Back, Scatter/Gather, Feb 7, 2011
- Your Content Is Showing, Scatter/Gather, Dec 30, 2010
- Robosketching for the People, Scatter/Gather, Oct 15, 2010
- Here Comes User-Generated Content, Scatter/Gather, July 28, 2009
- A Bah-Bah-Bah Blog Blunder? Scatter/Gather, July 22, 2010
- Cheaper Than a Bag of Popcorn, Scatter/Gather, Mar 18, 2010
- Order Out of Nothingness: Tagging 101, Scatter/Gather, Jan 12, 2010
- News That's Fit to Tweet? Scatter/Gather, Nov 13, 2009
- Blinded by Content Bliss, Scatter/Gather, Aug 3, 2009
- Cultivating Effective User-Generated Content, with Bob Maynard, Razorfish.com, July 2009 [pdf]
- Crowdsourcing Content, Scatter/Gather, Apr 22, 2009
- Auto Promotion: Using Twitter in the Automotive Industry, Headlight Blog, Mar 30, 2009
- To Fabricate or Not to Fabricate, Scatter/Gather, Mar 12, 2009
- Mind Your Microblogging Manners, Slant, Dec 2008 [pdf]
- Let ‘Em Talk, Headlight Blog, Oct 28, 2008
Featured Critical Writing
- Jon Krakauer - Into Thin Air
- Patrick McGrath - Asylum
- Oliver Sacks - The Island of the Colorblind
- Danzy Senna - Caucasia
Movies & Video
- A Good American - Dir. Friedrich Moser
- Citizenfour - Dir. Laura Poitras
- The Misfortunates - Dir. Felix van Groeningen
Unfortunately, the following reviews are no longer available online.
- Meantime - Dir. Mike Leigh
- Taste of Cherry - Dir. Abbas Kiarostami
- Work of the Director - Dir. Chris Cunningham
- Work of the Director - Dir. Michel Gondry
- Work of the Director - Dir. Spike Jonze
- Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds: The Videos
- Joseph Arthur - Our Shadows Will Remain
- Massive Attack - 100th Window
- Luna - Close Cover Before Striking
- The Flaming Lips - Fight Test EP
- Dani Siciliano - Likes . . .
- Boards of Canada - Geogaddi
Essays & Articles
- I Was a Twenty-Something Gay Basher, BJUnity, Feb 10, 2012
- The Cult of Jared - My essay on the popularity of Jared Fogle, "the Subway guy" and how Subway carefully avoided endorsing his diet. "Jared" was also reprinted on Zmag.org.
- Daddy Buys a Buick - my prize-winning short story was reprinted on Open Sewer